Thursday, November 15, 2012

War Bread!

That's what this recipe for bread was called! I did not make it up. There are quite a few unusual recipes in the Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads that I got recently. This one, as explained, is an old family recipe dating back to wartime, when some ingredients were hard to obtain.

The recipe called for a variety of flours including oat flour and cornmeal as well as the usual whole wheat and bread flour, plus molasses. Its a for a big quantity so I had some difficulty kneading it by hand. First rising went fine, but even at double the time, the second rising did not go well, at the end I had to bake the three loaves because I ran out of time. The resulting bread smelled amazing coming out of the oven. Its toothsome, a bit crunchy from the cornmeal, and tastes quite good. I've not tried it toasted yet, but I believe it will be good too.


No comments: