Saturday, December 1, 2012

Beer Bread

New month is started, so a new type of bread. A bread made with 2 cups of beer intrigued me. It also had molasses to give it flavour and colour, and cornmeal to give it crunch. The dough was hard to work with and it took at lot more bread flour than noted in the recipe,  to be able to knead it properly, but I did it all by hand. Good thing this help my arthritis in my thumbs. Dark crust and deep warm brown interior. Lovely smell and lusty flavour. A hit. I made this batch with a light cloured beer. I'm sure it would taste quite different with a dark beer, or a fruit beer. May try that the next time. This recipe is also from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads, and was called Trudi's bread but no one knows who Trudi is anymore.


No comments: