Sunday, December 2, 2012

Baked Coconut Custard

I had a lot of coconut milk, and eggs in my fridge, so lets make a custard! I decided to try to alter a recipe for baked custard in the crockpot, by substituting the coconut milk (which was quite thick) for a portion of the required milk. Turned out to be a bit bland I thought. Plus I think I left it to cook too long, since there were some rubbery bits on the bottom. Doing some research in a How to Bake book I downloaded from the Prepared Pantry website, and reading up on using eggs in baking, too long can produce that result. I had thought it was the coconut milk. Will try this again but following the timing properly


Another aha. I bought an oven thermometer, and have discovered that the temperature gauge on my oven is out (higher) by as much at 50 degrees Farenheit. I always knew the temperature was out, but I did not think it was out by so much. Live and learn.

No comments: