Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sourdough Starter-Day 3

Well I'm making a sourdough starter. I can see success so far, as of day 3. It must be about 40 years since I did this before. A lot less scientific then, if I remember correctly, but very Mother Earth.

This time, I'm using the formula from Lauren Chattman's Bread Making for what she calls Fool Proof Sourdough Starter.

Day 1

1/4 cup water
1/2 rye flour

Combine flour and water in a glass bowl. Stir till smooth with just a few lumps. Cover with plastic and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours.

Day 2

Stir mixture. Mine had not done much.

Add 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup rye flour. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours. During the day I did begin to see some fermentation and growth in the mixture.

Day 3

Definitely seeing bubbling and a doubling in volume.

Stir mixture and discard half. Put remainder in clean glass bowl. Add 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup water and 2 tsp rye flour. Mix and cover, and let culture sit at room temperature for another 24 hours.




No comments: