Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Shrimp and Scallop Paella

Last minute decision to make a Paella for New Year's Eve dinner. I had not made one of these for decades I'm sure. I followed my instincts and this was the result.


Recipe follows:

Shrimp and Scallop Paella

1 cup Basmati rice
2 cups water
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp saffon
1 onion cut up
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 red pepper
1 small eggplant chopped
1 carrot sliced asn pre cooked
1/2 cup peas
1 cup shrimp deveined
1/2 cup bay scallops
1/2 tsp spice mixture* see below

Cook rice in water with salt and saffron.

Melt butter and olive oil and cook onion and garlic till soft. Add  eggplant and pepper and cook till browned and soft. Add to rice and. Toss in shrimp, scallops, peas and carrots and season to taste.

My Special Spice Mixture

I always have a small jar of this on hand. I use it in almost everything that needs a little zing!


Special Spice Mixture

½ cup paprika
¼ cup chili powder
3 tbsp salr
2 tbsp dried coriander
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp cayenne


Mix all ingredients together.

Store in airtight container and store in cool dry place away from heat and light.

Can be used as a rub on meat and as seasoning in a variety of dishes.

No comments: