Thursday, February 7, 2013

Rye Sourdough with Cumin

Its been a while since I've had a chance to make bread due to Mom's care issues, but I did manage to squeeze this one in. I did the kneading by hand. I needed to work some frustrations out!

Rye Sourdough with Cumin

Day Before Starter

1.4 cup sourdough starter
1/2 cup rye flour
1/4 cup water at room temperature

Mix starter with flour and water. Cover and let stand overnight

Dough

1 1/2 to 2 cups unbleached bread flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1 cup water at room temperature
1/2 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin

Mix 1 1/2 cup bread flour plus all the rest of the  ingredients and add starter. Knead for 8 minutes adding a bit of bread flour as needed. Dough will feel sticky

Place in bowl sprayed with cooking spray, cover and let stand till double in size, about 90 minutes or so.

Punch down dough, shape and place in greased bread pan. Cover and let stand till to top of bread pan, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Preheat oven to  400 degrees. Bake about 35 to 45 minutes.

Cool on wire rack.


This dough took longer to rise than anticipated and then felt too soft to rise properly. Note there is no curved top . Tasty but I think sourdough (at least this starter) is not worth my trouble! I did like the touch of cumin.

No comments: